Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Setbacks and obstacles or attacks from Satan?

 This passage was originally written on September16, 2021, ten days after my arrival here. I have edited it for style as I typed it, but have made no substantive changes to the content.

Setbacks? I am reminded of our Sunday evening discussion a few months ago on the supernatural. We talked then about our American skepticism when it comes to that topic and how other cultures may be more accepting of the supernatural.

My fall is a good example. Is it a setback? or an attack from the devil? The added difficulty and complications that I now face have certainly frustrated me and have prevented me from worshipping and praying with the others, visiting the villages with Hammer, etc.

During prayer group Tuesday morning, (September 7) I read Romans 8:28 to the ladies and commented (as I had done once during a Wednesday evening) about my changing focus of appreciation of the verse. It certainly was a timely lesson, because within a few hours, I had fallen. It is once again time to focus on "And we know that God causes . . . "

While my American skepticism might see the fall and its results as merely a setback, Dela sees it as an attack from Satan who is trying to stop the work--my work--here. There is an advantage to her perspective. Viewing the event as a blow from Satan causes me to rely more fully on God, to pray for His strengthening and healing, and to trust that He will work in His time. That point of view is much more likely to increase my faith and result in spiritual growth.

From September 21:

Dela asked me to prepare a devotion for this morning's prayer group again. We had watched TV the other evening, and I was surprised by the number of shows on religion: worship services, talk shows, even a movie. The movie dealt with a young man who turned away from his Christian faith to find a better life by worshiping an idol. According to Dela all of the programs came from false religions or the occult. Because of that and the continued difficulties I was encountering from the fall and car search, I decided to read and discuss the whole armor of God. Ephesians 6:10-17. As we talked about the belt of truth, Dela decided we needed a demonstration. She used a scarf for her belt of truth and asked Viviane to attack her. They both ended up on the ground, almost landing on Sica, who was already sitting there. It took us about 10 minutes to get back to the passage because we were laughing so hard. 

             










No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...