Friday, February 11, 2022

Walking to Hammer's

I live almost directly in line with Hammer's house, but two streets away, so I like to walk there sometimes. Going by car, the route that I show here is very rough, lots of bouncing! But it is the shorter way to go. One of these days I hope to feel energetic enough to take the longer way.

I exit my compound and turn left. Across the street from me is a large compound. I have met a couple who lives there and their children. Next door to me, on my left as I turn toward Hammer's is a three story building. The picture below shows the building after I passed it and I turn back to look at it.


After another compound and a little shop, I turn the corner. This street is picturesque, I think. I pass the compound below, on my right. In the late afternoon an elderly gentleman sits out by the gate. He always waves and greets me as I go by.


Across from this compound are a couple of businesses. There is a hairdresser's shop. I have to say I have never seen anyone in there. And there is a store of some kind. I can't quite figure out what is for sale in the store. And you can't really go in; you stand on the street and ask for what you want. So I probably will not do much shopping there.

        

When I reach the next corner, I turn left. Hammer's house is the first house on the right. On the corner, though, there are a couple of businesses. Directly on the corner is a combination shop that seems to sell candy and soft drinks, among other things and do hair braiding. The next to those is Godwin's mother's restaurant. It is the brown and yellow building you see in the picture below.



As I walk, I greet everyone I meet along the way. It is my way of connecting and trying to become part of the community. Sometimes, people will stop and welcome me to Togo, ask me if I like living in Vogan and what I am doing here. I thank them, respond in the affirmative, and tell them that I work with Hammer at L'Eglise de la Famille du Christ. Almost everyone is warm and welcoming. 

I don't always see someone I know as I walk, so it was a treat to see Patrick this morning as he headed to work. 

The first time I mentioned to Sena, before I moved in, that I was going to walk from Hammer's house to mine, he thought I was crazy. But, he gets excited to ride in the car, because it doesn't happen very often. However, I told him that many people in Vogan got from one place to another on foot, and I needed to do that, too. I hope to increase the distance that feels comfortable to me. I'll let you know when I take the long way to the house!

View videos of the walk here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-DonnĂ©, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...