Saturday, January 15, 2022

Joy in the little things

 


Forgive me, but I have just had a visit from a plumber and I am now a very happy camper! (Note to siblings--I chose my words deliberately). One of the things he did was to install this new toilet seat for me. 

One of the characteristics of some people here is that they choose the least expensive option rather than pay extra for better quality. One such choice is toilet seats. Many bathrooms come equipped with cheap seats made of a plastic sheet supported by two plastic bars on either side. See the picture below.


I first encountered this style of seat during my March visit. Then, and ever since then, I have traveled through Togo leaving a trail of broken toilet seats in my wake. I have broken every one that I have used: one at Hammer's (maybe two!); one at Joycelyn's (Hammer's daughter); one in a public restroom in a bank or a restaurant in Lomé. The one in my house was already broken, but I have made it a bit worse.

Once the break occurs, one's skin begins to suffer as the plastic digs into your legs as you sit down and get back up. 


Therefore, I am very thankful to have my new, wooden, solid toilet seat. An added bonus:  according to the box I can raise and lower the seat 10,000 times before it breaks!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...