Saturday, April 16, 2022

Spring Break--Day 5

  Friday consisted of two major activities: getting electricity credits and having an Ewe lesson.

I drove to breakfast so that I could run by the electric company on the way home. It is not far from my house, so I could walk, but I didn't discover until yesterday the street that would lead me back home. And now that I know that, I am not totally sure that I could find it were I to leave from my house. I'll try it one day and let you know!

After breakfast I headed to CEET. It was rather nerve-racking to get there, because Friday is market day. Naturally that means increased traffic on the main road, which runs by the market. When I arrived at the office, I was a bit dismayed. There were a few motorcycles and bicycles parked there, which meant that I had to park right in front. I learned after my first visit that it was better for me to park at the end of the office, because the step is a bit lower there and I have the wall to hang onto. But, thinking that the handwashing station might support me enough to make the big step up, I headed forward. I was wrong. The guard had to come out and help me get up the step.


I took this picture later in the day on my way home from the Ewe lesson. I had hoped that I could get a better shot, but the bicycle behind me and other traffic meant that I had to keep moving. The step up doesn't seem all that high in the picture, but it is higher than a standard US step.

After paying the bill, I drove back to Hammer's house. Dela had told me to leave my car so that the boys could wash it. During the way back, I discovered the street that leads me back home. Because of the traffic, I couldn't perform my normal U-turn, so I turned right on the first street past the electric company. It looked as if might run all the way to Hammer's street. It didn't. When it ended, I looked both ways to see if I would have to head back toward the main road or if I could go the other direction. Looking left, I saw the top of the tall building beside my house, which meant that I did not have to get on the main road but could continue in the other direction.

The court has been quiet all week, but yesterday it was busy again. When I arrived at the house, I could only park right in front of the gate, which is not convenient for car washing. But I left it there anyway and returned home. My one frustration with parking and the walk home--and, indeed, the whole day--was that I did not see an Apsonic in a good position for me to take a picture. I'm working on a post about driving here and those vehicles--sort of a truck attached to a motorcycle--are part of the content. I want to have a picture.

After lunch it was time for my Ewe lesson. Peter had said that he would go straight to the church property where we meet, but I waited for him at Hammer's. Since you have to pass by Hammer's on the way to the church, I figured he might change his mind. He finally called me and told me he was there.

We met for over two hours, reviewing the numbers to 60, and going all the way to 2000. Then we worked on pronunciation of the seven vowels alone and proceeded by consonants and consonant clusters. A picture of the chart is below.


So there you have it, day 5. We have one more day, not counting the weekend. School resumes on Tuesday, April 19.

Wishing everyone a Happy Easter. He is risen!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...