Friday, April 15, 2022

Spring Break-day 4

 I realized late yesterday afternoon (day 4) that I had not reported on Spring Break Day 3. It was fairly uneventful. The main activity of the day was going over the application to  IDES for a grant to assist with the last few months of the school lunch program. Prices are rising quickly and steeply here.

Day 4 of Spring Break began when my doorbell rang around 6:45 a.m. It was Viviane, who had come to do my laundry and housework. Normally she comes later on Thursdays; she spends the mornings at the school selling beignets to the children before school and during recess, and heads to my house after recess. But it is Spring Break, so she is free earlier.

I let her in and then proceeded to take my shower and get dressed. I had been moving at a fairly leisurely pace, because when I arrived at the house on Wednesday for breakfast, I couldn't get in. The family were having devotions and they had locked the gate to the compound. Someone actually came to the gate when another lady knocked, but I hated to interrupt them so planned to arrive later on Thursday.

I drove to the house so that the car would not interfere with the clothesline. After breakfast, I walked back.

I spent the morning trying to email the information for the grant application to Hammer's forwarding agent. I had tried Wednesday afternoon, but the Internet was super slow and I couldn't even get my email to open. It is frequently faster in the mornings, and yesterday was no exception, but it still took quite some time to get the application information, a video, and a picture sent. 

As the morning wore on, I began to hear thunder. I made frequent trips outside to check to see if it was truly going to rain. Finally, I decided I had better move the clothes into the house. I started with the t-shirts. Once I got them draped on the drying rack in the house, it seemed as if the storm was going to pass us by, so I resumed my work. Then the thunder got more frequent and the dark clouds looked closer. I texted Dela that I would not be coming over for lunch, because I didn't want to leave my clothes on the line and not be home to rescue them should it start to rain. She sent Meda over with the lunch. I set the table and served myself, but decided I had better finish bringing in the clothes. I'm glad I did, because the rain started right after I got all of them in.


For once, there was no hard rain. It fell gently for 30 or 40 minutes and then stopped.

Shortly after 4, I left the house and headed back to Hammer's. Bible Study starts at 5, but I wanted to stop by Godwin's mother's restaurant to buy some Togocel credit. That alone takes a few minutes; if she is busy with other customers, it could be longer. 

Credit bought, I went to the house and collected Dela, Sena, and Hammer's aunt and off we went to Bible Study.

I have talked in other posts how I hate dealing with my gate. As I opened the gate yesterday evening, Patrick came up. He had been on his way home from work and saw me arrive at my house, so he came to help with the gate. It was a much more pleasant process with his help!

I would say that Day 4 was a pretty good one. We'll see how Day 5 goes and get back to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...