Saturday, May 7, 2022

A Rain Day

 Here, instead of snow days, there are occasional rain days at school. Today, Friday, May 6, seemed to be one of them--I am not sure, because I did not hang around to see.

According to my phone app, we were supposed to have thunderstorms at 1:00 this afternoon. Otherwise it would be a partly to mostly cloudy day. So, of course, the rain started at 6:00 this morning. It was not a hard rain when I left for breakfast/school, but while I was eating it began to pour. And we had thunder and lightening as well. I finished breakfast in time to get to school before 8:00, but it was still pouring, so I waited for it to slow down, if not stop altogether. 

That took until 8:30. It was still raining, but not in sheets. I considered myself very courageous when I set out, because the road conditions are always a gamble on wet days. I navigated the puddles, mud, bumps, and tire tracks (from previous rains) rather well, I thought, and arrived at school in the usual ten minutes. 

But no one was there! That is not entirely true. The kindergarten building doors were all shut tightly, so I decided not to venture across the yard to check them. But I saw five or six students. No adults at all. In my typical (American? personal?) fashion, I decided not to wait and came home. At noon, I heard some kids walking down the street. Only one of my neighbor kids (that is the group that lives next door and across the street) goes to our school, so I don't know if our school eventually had class or if it was another one.

The weather kept Peter from coming to Vogan from Lomé, so no Ewe lesson today. I am not too sad about that. I find my individual sessions with Peter a stressful experience and am thinking of suspending them.

I worry a bit about the market. Today is Vogan's market day, and many people come to sell and buy. I am sure that the rain did not stop everybody, but it might have stopped some buyers. 

Speaking of buying and selling, there is no flour left in town. I had the last pancake this morning until Dela is able to find some more. That is what I eat most frequently that has flour in it. She also makes meat pies in two different varieties that take flour.

Finishing this up on Saturday morning. The rain continued--until 1:00 p.m.!--so I did not get out at all. Even for a team meeting. We decided to hold it at my house, which was fun.

After everyone left, the power went off. I have a powerful flashlight that I set on the floor when that happens and I noticed that a bug had got in the house. It looked much like a dragonfly as it bounced around the ceiling. Eventually, it hovered closer to the ground and even landed occasionally. On one such landing, I killed it. Within a few seconds, there was another one. And I heard what sounded almost like rain by the front window. When I investigated that noise, I saw nearly 100 of them on the screen. It felt a bit like a scene out of The Birds. I hurriedly grabbed my bug spray and let them have it. It took about five blasts of it to reduce the noise. In hopes of discouraging any further winged visitors, I turned off the flashlight and sat in the dark. Fortunately, the power was restored in just a few minutes and stayed on the rest of the night.

This morning, I was eager to see what impact I had made with the bug spray. I could see five bug corpses stuck to the window, and assumed there would be more outside. There were, as you can see. 


It's all part of the rainy season, and part of the adventure here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...