Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The Water Bill


The Water Company

One of the things that has surprised me here is the attitude toward water. Whereas I had expected that people would be very conservative, using only the smallest amounts for washing or cooking, I found that this was not the case. Not that water is wasted—the soapy rinse water in the laundry tub becomes the soapy water for the next load of clothes; water that has been used for soaking vegetables will then be used to wash the knife that chopped the vegetables and the bowl that held them. But I’ve also seen dishpans of water just poured out and refilled with seemingly no care. So, early in my stay, I asked Karen if water was expensive and learned that it was not. Her average water bill (when she doesn’t have grass to water) was less than 5000 CFA per month. (roughly $10).

The water bills I got after moving confirmed the information. They were for 2500 to 3000 CFA per month. Until March. The bill was delivered while I was at school, but Viviane was here to welcome the Water Company employee. Having never witnessed it, I don’t know how it is done, but I think the employee reads the meter and prints out the bill right then.



Imagine my surprise when I opened the bill (it was folded) and saw the bottom line: I owed 437, 751 CFA!!! I read and re-read the bill trying to understand how it could be so high. Since, in French numbering systems, commas are used for decimal points and vice versa, I kept thinking that perhaps it was only 437 francs. Then I thought that I had somehow received someone else’s bill, but that was contradicted by the fact that the name and number on it were the same as those on my previous bills. So I began to hope that it was some kind of computer glitch, and made plans to stop at the water company the next day.

Thus began a week of almost daily visits to that office. At my first visit, only the cashier was there. I showed him the bill and expressed my desire that there be some mistake. He looked up the account and assured me that there was no error. However, he did recognize that something had to be going on because of my previous payments. He told me to come back before closing to talk to a manager.

The manager was able to shed some light on the situation. According to him, the house had sat empty for two years, so that the meter reading displayed on the bill was the first since April of 2020. We—he, the cashier, and I—all rode to my house in a company truck so he could check the reading. It was, he said, correct. He knew that I had only lived in the house since January, so he assured me that I was not expected to pay the full amount. However, he did not have enough authority to tell me what I should pay, so I was supposed to return to the office on the following Tuesday, when his superior would be in. In the meantime he urged me to get in touch with the landlady concerning the bill.

Tuesday morning I waited until 9 to walk to the water company. The man still had not arrived and no one knew when or if he would. The cashier knows where I live, so he said he would send someone to get me when the guy arrived. He again stressed that I needed to contact the homeowner. I had told Hammer about the situation and had asked him to get in touch with the rental agent, but I decided to go by his house on the way home and repeat the request. I asked him what I should do other than that, and he said, “nothing.”

So here I am in Water Bill Limbo, waiting for Hammer to get the word to the landlady and for the Water Company to decide what I should pay.

It occurred to me that, if the house were empty, it would still be hard to accumulate that kind of water bill. If the average is less than 5000 per month, a two year total should be around 120,000. But just in case I called in a plumber to fix a leaky faucet!


The Water Tower in Vogan, right next to the water company. They are both located on the same road as Hammer's house and the school, so it is easy to stop by on my way to or from there. However, last week I decided to try walking. It wasn't bad, and I made almost all my trips there on foot.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-DonnĂ©, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...