Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Kindergarten Moving Day

 Tuesday, April 19, was not only the first day of school after Spring Break, it was moving day for the kindergarten. I made a point of arriving early so that I wouldn't miss anything. Most of the children come with older siblings or neighbors and so arrive before the official start time at 8:00, so I made a point to get there at 7:00. A few children still beat me. They were waiting on the stoop in front of the church (the old classroom).


Before eight o'clock, Tata started the moving process, enlisting the help of some of the older elementary school boys. They carried tables, chairs, the dishpans, footstools, etc.


Once most of the children arrived, they went over in a group. At first they walked, and then they began to run.


Tata and the older children set up the chairs and tables, and the kindergarteners sat down.


Before we could start the day, word came from the director that Hammer wanted to pray for the room and the children before they entered the classroom. So we hurriedly moved the chairs, tables, and children out to wait for Hammer. That was quite the wait, but he eventually arrived, said a few words, and prayed.





So, once it was official, we moved back in. One thing the children are happy about is that the toys have been moved to the second room in the building. They have not played with them for a few months now. I, on the other hand, am not happy about that, because they do not share well.

The rooms are not perfect. They are hot! And you know that if I'm saying that, it could be unbearable for some of you. The fence behind the building is only about a foot away from the wall. The plan is to move that back so that there will be room for air to flow through on that side. 

In addition, the blackboard is very high. Tata wanted lines going across at the top. She was going to climb onto a stool to make them, but I stopped her and offered to do the job. I was on my tiptoes and stretching to get it done. The children can write on it, but the smallest are writing at the very bottom of the board.


Improvements will be made, I am sure. The important thing right now is that the kindergarten is at home at last!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...