Saturday, March 19, 2022

The Long Way Home

 I did it! Today I walked to Hammer's via the long way. And came back the same way. It is only a few yards farther, but feels like more than that when I drive it. The road is a lot smoother. Here are some pictures I took on the way home. 



Coming out of Hammer's house. I have mentioned before that he is across the street from the court building. The short way to my house calls for a left turn, but this morning I turned right. There are not many pictures from the house to the corner, because the street is a busy one. There is a moto taxi stand right in front of Hammer's house and a couple of shops between the court and the corner. As usual, there were several people out and about and I didn't want to draw attention to myself by taking pictures.

 

Either side of the street after turning the corner. The top picture shows more of the right side of the street.  About halfway down, there are two piles of rocks and dirt. These are the only driving hazards of the street. One of them (I can't remember which) has a similar pile on the opposite side, so you have to drive between them. If there is oncoming traffic, watch out! The pagoda that you see in the center of the bottom picture, which shows the left side of the street, is on the tall building next to my house.


This compound is on the right side of the street. Notice the name plate to the right of the gate. That is rather unusual--it gives the name of the home owner. The fence is so high that you can't see the house inside. I would love to go by it when the gate is open one day, so that I could get a peek at the layout of the compound.



Also on the right side. This house appears to be empty. I would like to know the story behind it, because it looks as if it is a good size and a good house. Did people live there before? Are they building the house as they have funds and still have work to do on the inside before moving in? So many possibilities!


I like the way this little shop has been built on to the compound wall. I will probably stop here one day, because the lady sells plastics. Despite my large-ish collection (for one person!), I find myself in need of a smaller bucket, which I have seen displayed here.


Turning the corner to my street. 


Finally, I am home. I pass the house next door (top photo) and arrive in front of my house. The compound across the street (bottom photo) also interests me. I would love to see the layout, because I think there are at least two families who live there.

According to my phone, there are 100 fewer steps this way: 916 vs. 1010 or so. So maybe it's not the long way home. Or perhaps I take smaller, and therefore more, steps on the short way because of the rough terrain. No matter. I'm going to ignore the numbers and just bask in the accomplishment of achieving a goal.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...