Thursday, March 24, 2022

Mind your manners

 Just a brief comment about what is considered polite here. Disclaimer: these remarks are based on my observation of interactions, hearing what the kindergarten teacher tells the children, and hearing what parents say to their children. I have not asked many specific questions, so it is, of course, possible that I am missing some subtilties.

What is not impolite:  nose-picking. Even adults do so.

What is polite:

Greeting one's elders, including a curtsy or bow. When people arrive at church, for example, they go around greeting those who are already there. I think the polite thing is to wait for the younger person to speak first. That is what others seem to do. I can't help myself. When I see someone I know, I say hi. So I probably make mistakes on this all the time.

When starting to eat, inviting others around to eat with you. This one used to confuse me. A family friend who speaks English would say to me, "Miss Chris, you are invited." Sometimes I had just finished eating; sometimes I was already eating, so I wasn't sure what to do. Thanks to the kindergartners, however, I have now learned that the proper response is, "bon appétit!" Unfortunately with kindergartners, they all feel they have to invite me to eat and get my response. I still don't know the Ewe for it, but in French they say, "mangeons" (let's eat).

And finally, going outside to pass gas. At least that is what I have inferred. Occasionally one of the children will make a face and exclaim something, before telling Tata (the teacher) that another child has done something wrong. Tata always tells the offender that he or she should go outside to do that. I am basing my inference on the faces and exclamations. Who knows, it could be something totally different!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...