Monday, May 30, 2022

My kitchen, part 2

 Just to report that I have finally got the kitchen cabinets returned to their position on the wall! That was one of Saturday's accomplishments.

In the early weeks of my residence in this house, I arrived home one afternoon to find that the upper kitchen cabinets had fallen off the wall. I was grateful that nothing was broken and that the fall occurred when I was out. I am sure it made a horrendous noise.


I told Hammer and Dela and asked them to get in touch with a carpenter or handyman to put them back up. They sent Patrick over to move them out of the way for me; he put them outside the kitchen door, which you can see to the left of the photo.

As for the carpenter, there were building projects going on at the mission--the meeting place for the congregation in the "sad village," the kindergarten room, etc. One of the regulars got angry and quit coming to church. So I kept putting off asking about it, because I knew that others were busy. 

Then the rainy season started. Although we had covered up the cabinets a bit, they still got rained on a few times. So I finally asked again this past week for them to call someone to come put the cupboards back on the wall.

Saturday morning, Patrick's "master" (he is doing an apprenticeship) came over with Yaovi. He looked at the cabinets, declared them ruined, and said did I want to replace them with glass ones. I opted for wood, so he was out of there--his specialty is glass work. Yaovi left with him and returned with another handyman. Only the back of the cabinets--the flimsy wood that is at the wall--was totally ruined. They replaced that. Yaovi washed them and then they hung them back on the wall. Total cost:  8300 CFA. At the current exchange rate of 650 CFA to the dollar, that makes 12.76 USD. The cabinets look as if they have suffered a bit from their outdoor life, but I am happy to have them back up.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Buddies and a Photo-bomber

 In earlier posts I discussed my favorite little guy, Dieu-Donné, the very close runner-up, Gilbert. They both like to come lean on my lap, ...